The roadway or carriageway is a part of the public road intended for the movement of vehicles. The lane is intended for the traffic of cars, trucks, buses, tractors and motorbikes. If there is no footpath or bicycle path, pedestrians and cyclists also use the roadway.
- A roadway can be split into different lanes.
- Roadmarks are often placed on the carriageway, such as a zebra crossing.
- There are sometimes lanes with one-way traffic, but usually traffic is allowed in both directions.
A roadway can be split into different lanes.
The bike path is part of the public road intended for the traffic of cyclists. If a bike path is available, cyclists must use it. The bike path is not part of the roadway. Cars may not park, stand or drive on the cycle path.
- The bike path is part of the public road, but not part of the lane.
- Motor vehicles are not allowed to park, stand still or drive on the bike path.
- Cyclists and mopeds class A must drive on the bike path.
- Usually the bike path is colored red, but that is not always the case.
The footpath is the part of the public road intended for pedestrian traffic. Sometimes it is also called a pavement or sidewalk. If a footpath is present, pedestrians must use it.
- If there is a footpath, then pedestrians must use it.
- A crosswalk or zebra crossing is a place where pedestrians can use the lane to cross.
A verge is a strip of soil along a road and is often planted with grass, plants or trees. Road signs are often placed in the roadside. If the road is too narrow to cross another vehicle, you can move on the roadside.
- The verge is part of the public road.
- Some roads have a median strip to separate the direction of travel.
Some roads have a median strip to separate the direction of travel.
A public space is a place where we will only come if we have to be there for something. The traffic regulations only apply to public roads, but it is usually also applied to a (non-) public area.
- For example, a parking lot of a shop or gas station.
- A place where we only come if we have to be there for something.
A private property is a place where we can only come if we have permission to do so. For example a parking lot of a company, a private road or a driveway of a garage.
- For example, a company parking lot, a private road or a garage driveway.
- A place we only come to, if we have permission to do so.
Parking of a store.
Parking of a company.
Roadmarks are used on paved roadways to provide guidance and information to drivers and pedestrians. Uniformity of the markings is an important factor in minimizing confusion and uncertainty about their meaning, and efforts exist to standardize such markings across borders. However, countries and areas categorize and specify road surface markings in different ways
A crossing is a location on the road that is intended to cross and which is marked as such. They are for pedestrians and cyclists.
Warning for cyclists
A low-emission zone is a selective admission policy for motor vehicles is used in relation to the environmental nuisance caused by these vehicles because of the quality of life, in particular the environmental and health problems caused by poor air quality.